The Art of Krayne

Whether you're a writer, cosplayer, crafter, traditional/digital artist or photographer - anything creative is welcome!

Moderators: lolin, PharaohAtem, Sirena

Anni
Veteran Member

Achievements

Re: The Art of Krayne

Post by Anni » 14 Dec 2012, 22:03

I really like these characters, I tend to prefer the devils instead of the good ones..........They are more lively and interesting. <3

Why are you doing this pretty cool stuff?

Krayne
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Krayne » 29 Dec 2012, 02:17

A very late reply, but the whole month has been chaotic with shopping, xmas and longer hours at work hehe

Anyway, I'm mostly doing this as a personal project to improve my port-folio.
These little guys are just going to be many many designs of which I'll pick 2 of each (good and evil) then tweak them till I have my final two (good and evil). Then the real fun begins, I will be modelling them in 3D on my software Maya, then animating them in a sort of "Tom and Jerry"-esque animation. Short 1 minute or 2 minute skits, possibly longer once it's more popular and I find some people to help me with the. Already got a friend from back in University who has offered to help so who knows :D
My hopes are to eventually have an ongoing youtube series, to help fund/promote other ideas I have :D

In the mean time while I organise some of the many sketches I've done since I last posted, heres a Poem I wrote recently.

Alone in a copse lies a sapling
struggling to grow amongst the giants gaze,
green, towering hands blotting out the sun,
preventing the sweet golden nectar of
which this little sapling urgently needs,
twisting and turning, to and fro
in its frustration to grasp at the light.
Days go by –
Nights pass on –
Weeks turn into months –
The sapling looking on as it grows.

Green sky bleeding away into orange,
red and yellow, falling like forgotten thoughts,
an unforgiving storm sends the colours
in flourishes as strong winds pull and tease,
long wooden claws digging deep, as the light
swallowed by the clouds builds irritation.
Days go by –
Nights pass on –
Weeks turn into months –
The sapling looking on as it grows.

All around spindly arms covered in snow
stretch high like intertwining skeletons,
pulling each other close, warm, protecting
the sapling that stands taller than before,
its growing annoyance as the cold bites,
weaving through the skeletal maze, snapping.
Days go by –
Nights pass on –
Weeks turn into months –
The sapling, now a tree, grows on.

Above, the sky can be seen within reach,
a pool of light shining sweetly atop,
amongst the waterfall of bright colours,
birds and bees dancing in eloquent twirls,
darting and splashing, haste taken all over –
The sapling – He all but stood still – Ignorant.
Days go by –
Nights pass on –
Weeks turn into months –
The sapling, now a tree, grows on.

Stretching to earth’s corners is the blue sky
and all around are the once called giants,
standing like age old brothers newly found
sharing in the warm glow that bathes them all –

But he looks down,
........................... down,
................................... down, where the thrush lies,
New saplings can be seen, at last it’s known.

The green hands of summer were a protection
from having too much of the suns nectar,
The autumn thoughts forgotten, wise whispers
to help in times of need when needed most,
The winter skeletons were a ribcage
protecting what was smallest and dearest,
The spring waterfall were a reminder
of how close he was to journeys end.

It was now his turn – The sapling now a tree.

By Vasco De Mello
Friday 28th December 2012

Krayne
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Krayne » 29 Mar 2013, 18:12

I'm back for I don't know how long, but I've got new work to show. I've been carrying on with my Good vs Evil Project, still designing more characters, but I thought it was about time I started modelling some too, just to experiment. Here is the first model I have made, it is one of the good guys and already there are things I want to change about it.

I don't know how to embed video onto forums so the Links will have to do for now. (if anyone knows how, do tell :D )

[video=vimeo;61237376]https://vimeo.com/61237376[/video]

What I plan to change is the skin colour, by giving it actual colour I lost the simplicity and quirky feel that my drawings got. I will rework it with clever textures so that I only need white, blue and red. Also you will notice he is bold, a big part of my designs is the curly hair, I've got two ways about this, I can make actual bouncy curly realistic hair, or very stylized wide hair (almost like pencil shavings) to keep in tone with the style and character (not to mention making it easier to render)

Anyway, good to be back posting in this forum, since I last posted, I have completed a short course in film-making, and so what I currently have in the works is these 2 projects and a short film I am currently writing, hopefully plan to finish writing by end of April (Hopefully) then I will be searching for crew and cast to start filming right away :D
Once I have the draft written up I'll be glad to share it, but wont be able to post it online. It's my first film so I'm taking all precautions for it to not get leaked.

Anni
Veteran Member

Achievements

Post by Anni » 29 Mar 2013, 19:03

Welcome back :)

To add a video you just need to click on "Go Advanced" when you write a post and then click the small video Icon,add the URL and it's done :)

I really like Pandora, she looks cute right now, I bet she will be scary in the game! The face and legs seem alright to me, but it mostly depends on the original sketches or description you worked on.

I can't see the second video :( So I can't say anything right now! I'm sorry.

You were away for quite long time, It's good to see you back :)

Krayne
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Krayne » 29 Mar 2013, 19:35

And because I can't post more than one video per post, here is the other one

Along with this project I have also returned to do some work for an Indie game that is in the works, I had taken a break from it previously so that I can earn some money and get a job, but now that I have sorted that out, I have some extra time, thus I return to do some work for a short while.
Anyway the game is a survival horror set in an abandoned insane asylum that is haunted by a little girl called Pandora. It is not my game, it is someone elses, I am just assisting with the 3D Art side of things.

Here is a video of the work in progress for the main character, Pandora herself.

[video=vimeo;61764443]https://vimeo.com/61764443[/video]

Things I plan to improve are listed on the side of the video.

Thanks for the tip on embedding the video, I had my advanced pot set to simple, so changed that and now I have the option to insert video :D

Anni
Veteran Member

Achievements

Post by Anni » 29 Mar 2013, 19:50

Anytime :D

I really like the good Character, I don't understand what you mean about the skin texture, do you want to get a more realistic one? the clothe looks gorgeous , It almost look real. What bout the bad Character? I can remember you wanted both :)

And Again Pandora in an abandoned insane asylum, is definitely scary! I'd love if her eyes was red, dunno, is really insane :)

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 30 Mar 2013, 02:14

Everything looked proportional, the face was nice, tone looked natural. I also liked your earlier figures, they are definitely unique! Definitely wouldn't mind seeing more of them!

Thank you for sharing!

Zen
Veteran Member
Ireland

Post by Zen » 02 Apr 2013, 22:16

This is off-topic, but is your avatar a picture of you?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Expendable wrote:don't forget to tell Zen your safe-word. totally spoils the mood when someone's screaming "blueberry pancakes!" mid-flogging and you've no idea why.

Krayne
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Krayne » 02 Apr 2013, 23:10

Yes, yes it is :D
I was at a Skillset event with my University a few years back. Good place to network, could've had a chance to go study at NFTS all expenses paid... wish I had taken it

Krayne
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Krayne » 03 Apr 2013, 16:58

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16699[/ATTACH]

In an industry that uses many many different kinds of Software, I have taken it upon myself to train in 3DS Max. The otherside of Maya and more well known then the other brother SoftImage XSI.

So far it is a pretty useful software, it has some tools that I prefer to Maya, others that annoy me (like the group function, learnt the hard way to hate that). Most of all, I'm not too fond of the layout,
some things are harder to find, and of course I keep getting Hotkeys mixed up but that will be over eventually.
I especially like the tool in which I can paint pre-made (or user made) geometry onto the surface of other geometry, like bolts, rocks or trees. I'm pretty sure Maya can do that too,
but I haven't stumbled on it yet, will have to look for it.

Anyway, Digital Tutors is helping me making a Pod Racer and so I have made one engine, no textures, just solid colours to represent how I might want it.

PS. I havent forgotten about my Good Evil Characters, they will be done! :D

PocketMouse
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by PocketMouse » 04 Apr 2013, 03:06

1. Thank you Zen for asking so I know now who I am drooling over when he posts.

2. Krayne, you are magnificently talented. If that was a pen I'd have it just so I could look at it. I know it isn't, but I've seen weirder models put into pen form. I should know, I've bought most of them. Honestly, that is a few steps from being film-worthy. Now I want to see it in a film. o.o
[SIGPIC]It's funny how I'm not wrong...[/SIGPIC]
~| My Drawings | Read My Book | Vel's GFX | My Crafts |~

Zen
Veteran Member
Ireland

Post by Zen » 04 Apr 2013, 05:18

Hello, hottie. ;)

So, you and [mention=17199]Expendable[/mention] should get together over that 3D work. I think the most amazing thing about that is the attention to detail. Look at those shadows! It's incredible, and it looks so realistic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Expendable wrote:don't forget to tell Zen your safe-word. totally spoils the mood when someone's screaming "blueberry pancakes!" mid-flogging and you've no idea why.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 04 Apr 2013, 06:43

Krayne wrote:[ATTACH=CONFIG]16699[/ATTACH]

In an industry that uses many many different kinds of Software, I have taken it upon myself to train in 3DS Max.

Anyway, Digital Tutors is helping me making a Pod Racer and so I have made one engine, no textures, just solid colours to represent how I might want it.

Wonderful work, I love the complex shape of the engine under its cowling, those straps running from the waist to inside the exhaust. And the green wire that does all those complex shapes on the rear half. It's wonderful work. Doesn't 3DS Max have a clone tool? I'd love a clone tool that has an inverter to flip things around.

Zen wrote:So, you and Expendable should get together over that 3D work. I think the most amazing thing about that is the attention to detail. Look at those shadows! It's incredible, and it looks so realistic.
I'm trying to learn Blender. One of these days.

Anni
Veteran Member

Achievements

Post by Anni » 04 Apr 2013, 14:16

Krayne wrote:[ATTACH=CONFIG]16699[/ATTACH]

In an industry that uses many many different kinds of Software, I have taken it upon myself to train in 3DS Max. The otherside of Maya and more well known then the other brother SoftImage XSI.

So far it is a pretty useful software, it has some tools that I prefer to Maya, others that annoy me (like the group function, learnt the hard way to hate that). Most of all, I'm not too fond of the layout,
some things are harder to find, and of course I keep getting Hotkeys mixed up but that will be over eventually.
I especially like the tool in which I can paint pre-made (or user made) geometry onto the surface of other geometry, like bolts, rocks or trees. I'm pretty sure Maya can do that too,
but I haven't stumbled on it yet, will have to look for it.

PS. I havent forgotten about my Good Evil Characters, they will be done! :D

I really like it, impressive :D

Krayne
Standard Member
Great Britain

Post by Krayne » 06 Apr 2013, 05:24

[mention=10911]Velveeta[/mention] and [mention=1782]Zen[/mention] I thank you for the compliments from 2 gorgeous ladies. And yea one thing I've seemed to notice is that every spaceship I have seen looks like a gun (never thought of pen, but I guess its along similar lines). Also I wouldn't mind collab work with Expendable, we just need to get round to using similar software... I guess there is a work around for everything though.

[mention=17199]Expendable[/mention] When you get round to blender and find the many tools available, you are going to have so much fun figuring out what each of them does. Thats what I did when I first started 3D work, I first used CAD which was fun, but when I played around in some bigger software's it was a lot of fun.

[mention=17734]Anni[/mention] Thank you, but it will get better :D

Ok well, still carrying on with my 3DS Max training, I have gotten the hang of the modelling aspect, now I am getting my head round the texturing side and dabbled with lighting and rendering. It could just be because I am so so use to using Maya, but when it comes to lighting and rendering, Maya feels so much more straight forward and easy to manipulate hehe

Anyway, ye, I can now model anything in 3DS Max almost to the skill level I have in Maya. Some tools I have found extremely useful, others that I loved using in Maya, I have had to do a google search to find the equivalent... but that's how we learn, or at least how I learn... by doing :D

Presented above are two images showcasing how far I have gotten with the Pod Racer... and now I just need to add materials and texture it, at the moment all it has is solid colours and so it is far from finished... Give me another night or two :D

And below is the beginning of my texturing.

How do I delete attachments?