Homelessness illegal?

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Should the government criminalise Homelessness?

Make Homelessness illegal
No votes
Sort out the root cause of Homelessness (namely bad Landlords etc)
33%
Other
67%

Total votes: 3

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Homelessness illegal?

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 18 Apr 2024, 07:01

Above.

Thoughts?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Homelessness illegal?

Post by Beerkeg » 18 Apr 2024, 11:57

Okay, even if a government wanted to do something like that, how would they even accomplish it? What would be the punishment? A fine for someone who can't rent a place? Throw them in jail? To what end? So they can sit in jail for a year and then be homeless again?

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Homelessness illegal?

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 18 Apr 2024, 12:20

Beerkeg wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 11:57
Okay, even if a government wanted to do something like that, how would they even accomplish it? What would be the punishment? A fine for someone who can't rent a place? Throw them in jail? To what end? So they can sit in jail for a year and then be homeless again?

This is all stuff the fools in London don't consider, even if it did become Law, it's completely and utterly unworkable.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Homelessness illegal?

Post by Ojisama » 18 Apr 2024, 18:59

Well, in 2022, the Government announced an intention to repeal the Vagrancy Act 1824, but not until appropriate legislation is in place to replace it. I'm not sure how far along they have got, but the original act states...

"every person wandering abroad and lodging in any barn or outhouse, or in any deserted or unoccupied building, or in the open air, or under a tent, or in any cart or waggon..."

"it shall be lawful for any justice of the peace to commit such offender (being thereof convicted before him by the confession of such offender, or by the evidence on oath of one or more credible witness or witnesses,) to the house of correction, for any time not exceeding three calendar months..."

Interestingly, the Act also covers other offences that may be committed by "rogues and vagabonds."

"every person pretending or professing to tell fortunes, or using any subtle craft, means, or device, by palmistry or otherwise, to deceive and impose on any of his Majesty’s subjects"

"every person wandering abroad, and endeavouring by the exposure of wounds or deformities to obtain or gather alms; every person going about as a gatherer or collector of alms, or endeavouring to procure charitable contributions of any nature or kind, under any false or fraudulent pretence"

"every person apprehended as an idle and disorderly person, and violently resisting any constable, or other peace officer so apprehending him or her, and being subsequently convicted of the offence for which he or she shall have been so apprehended; shall be deemed a rogue and vagabond, within the true intent and meaning of this Act"

What I'm getting around to is this. Unless a new act has been put in place in the last 1.5 years, it actually IS illegal to be homeless.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Homelessness illegal?

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 18 Apr 2024, 20:27

Ojisama wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 18:59
Well, in 2022, the Government announced an intention to repeal the Vagrancy Act 1824, but not until appropriate legislation is in place to replace it. I'm not sure how far along they have got, but the original act states...

"every person wandering abroad and lodging in any barn or outhouse, or in any deserted or unoccupied building, or in the open air, or under a tent, or in any cart or waggon..."

"it shall be lawful for any justice of the peace to commit such offender (being thereof convicted before him by the confession of such offender, or by the evidence on oath of one or more credible witness or witnesses,) to the house of correction, for any time not exceeding three calendar months..."

Interestingly, the Act also covers other offences that may be committed by "rogues and vagabonds."

"every person pretending or professing to tell fortunes, or using any subtle craft, means, or device, by palmistry or otherwise, to deceive and impose on any of his Majesty’s subjects"

"every person wandering abroad, and endeavouring by the exposure of wounds or deformities to obtain or gather alms; every person going about as a gatherer or collector of alms, or endeavouring to procure charitable contributions of any nature or kind, under any false or fraudulent pretence"

"every person apprehended as an idle and disorderly person, and violently resisting any constable, or other peace officer so apprehending him or her, and being subsequently convicted of the offence for which he or she shall have been so apprehended; shall be deemed a rogue and vagabond, within the true intent and meaning of this Act"

What I'm getting around to is this. Unless a new act has been put in place in the last 1.5 years, it actually IS illegal to be homeless.

What gets me though, is that I'm sure you've seen the myriad of Homeless people who congregate outside Sainsbury's and McDonald's on the High St in Town? And, it's within shouting distance of Snig Hill nick therefore why don't the Coppers come and move them along?

At least there's no longer the hordes of Big Issue sellers outside Virgin Money at the top of Fargate, don't get me wrong at least they're doing a valuable job and earning some loot though.