Urban Legends

Where you can discuss, chat about events or, organise member meetups, the world or life in general including movies, tv shows and more.

Moderators: Beex, Elgood81, Beerkeg, Ferefire

Ivory
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Urban Legends

Post by Ivory » 13 Jun 2019, 03:10

This thread is for posting your favorite or not so favorite Urban Legends/Ghost Stories etc. It can be something local or widely known. Ready? Set? Go!

Mel's Hole

One local legend that happened in my hometown (supposedly) is known as Mel's Hole. It all started when a man named Mel Waters called in to the Art Bell radio program claiming that he found a bizarre sinkhole on his property with strange powers. He stated that it was greater than 80,000 feet deep, as he had tied fishing line together and lowered it down into the hole, letting it go for more than 15 miles before it touched the bottom. He also claimed that the hole had the ability to bring dead animals back to life after a man's dead dog was thrown into the pit and then was seen walking around shortly after. Waters was featured on the show numerous times before 2002, when a local paper reported that no man named Mel Waters existed in the area at all. As his identity has never been confirmed, and he never told listeners the exact location of the pit, many consider it to be hoax. However, this has not stopped people from coming to the area in an attempt to seek out the famed sinkhole.

The Thirteen Steps To Hell

In Maltby Cemetery, 20 miles east of Seattle, WA, there is said to be a stairway to Hell. According to the legend, there was once a set of thirteen steps in the cemetery leading below ground to the tomb of a local wealthy family. Anyone who walked down the stairs and reached the thirteenth step would be met with a vision of Hell so chilling it would drive them to insanity. Witnesses reported only seeing the person get to the final step and fall to their knees in terror. Apparently several children walked those steps and never spoke again. At some point, the stairs were bulldozed over. It's rumored that, even now, local kids trespass in Maltby Cemetery at night, digging for those haunted stairs.

(I'll post more later when my wrists aren't hurting as much)

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Re: Urban Legends

Post by lolin » 13 Jun 2019, 03:14

I don't really have any in my local area I know of, but my favorite is probably the Mothman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman

HistoryFreak
Great Britain

Re: Urban Legends

Post by HistoryFreak » 30 Jun 2019, 19:25

Though not really an urban legend, more of an legend it, it still affecting people now. Outside of cranborne chase there is a story of a horseman. The story starts in 1927 when an archaeologist was driving down a road between cranbourne and handy cross which isn't far from where I live. he saw a horseman riding in the field thinking that he was close to stables he thought nothing of it, until the horseman started galloping faster as if to meet his car he was so interested in fact that he is change gears to go slower so then he would meet and so he can find out why he took sudden action. When he got level he noticed that wasn't a normal horseman. This is his written statement of what happened "I could see now that he was no ordinary horseman for her bare legs and wore a long waistcoat the horse had a long mane and tail but I could see no bridles or saddle, the riders face was turned towards me but I can see is features he seemed to be threatening with some implement which he waived his right hand above his head and tried hard to identify as suddenly realised that he was a prehistoric man, after travelling parallel with my car for about 100 years the horseman suddenly vanished I noticed a spot and the next day found spot to be a low round barrow.
the story continues as the archaeologist goes further to find out what was happening he spoke to several police officers and also other people in the local area and found that most people had seen/hear the Horsemen and was seen as only protecting his area.
the reason this story is one of my favourite legends is because one night driving home from work I've travelled down the road to cranborne to find a strange man in the field opposite me riding his horse, he seemed quite aggressive and he made me feel quite scared so I quickly got out of the area and that's how I found out about the Horsemen.