Yaoi/BL online survey

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

UKFujoshi
Great Britain

Yaoi/BL online survey

Post by UKFujoshi » 01 Jun 2019, 10:02

Hello, I’m a yaoi/BL fan and researcher at the University ofLeeds, UK. If you like yaoi/BL, I would be really grateful if you wouldcomplete my online survey: https://leeds.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/blfandomsurvey
If you like, you can view my academic profile and yaoi/BLresearch here: https://leeds.academia.edu/AnnaMadill/Boys'-Love-Manga-Research-Papers
Many thanks, Professor Anna Madill

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Re: Yaoi/BL online survey

Post by unoduetre » 01 Jun 2019, 10:13

Checking the papers… :P

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 Jun 2019, 10:17

Reading: "Men on the market: Feminist analysis of age-stratified male–male romance in Boys’ Love manga." (draft)

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/80840450.pdf

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 Jun 2019, 11:06

I'm happy people are discussing (idiotic [in my humble opinion] elements of) Coroners and Justice Act 2009 (a part of the UK law) in academia.

http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/101791/1 ... sation.pdf

The legislation invites a literal reading through implying that given criteria coherent for the assessment of representational texts (e.g., photographs of children) can be applied also to non-representational texts (i.e., fantasy drawings) and awarded moral status similar to that of the real (e.g., that protagonist age in manga can, within the ordinary everyday parameters of impression, be determined has been critiqued above). Perhaps even more problematic, the legislation invites a singular reading of texts through priming a search for the reified elements by a defined audience (magistrates, District Judge, or jury) under the remit that a certain constellation may warrant prohibition. Specifically, it alerts hegemonically-empowered or hegemonically-representational groups to a paedophilic reading and disavows other possible readings as irrelevant if these groups can find that reading.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 01 Jun 2019, 11:13

Well that's not confusing at all.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 Jun 2019, 11:22

unoduetre wrote:Reading: "Men on the market: Feminist analysis of age-stratified male–male romance in Boys’ Love manga." (draft)

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/80840450.pdf

I like the perspective used in this paper. I wanted to check if it is yet another paper blaming yaoi for being homophobic etc., but it's an opposite of that. Instead the author described how yaoi can be used as a fantasy world to reanalyse patriarchal relationships in the society. That's nice. :)

(But Lacan and Freud are still unscientific. ;) )

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 Jun 2019, 11:25

A side note:

Damn, I wish I could get a grant to buy and read 234 manga!

I wonder if the manga are now a property of the university library or they got sold. If they are, the University of Leeds has a great yaoi collection now!

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 Jun 2019, 11:28

Yeah, yaoi fans, take part in this survey for (social) science!!! :)

I don't think I can consider myself a fan, not because I don't like it, but because I haven't read enough of it.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 Jun 2019, 11:31

Momogari wrote:Well that's not confusing at all.

[mention=6444]Momogari[/mention]

What do you mean?

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 Jun 2019, 11:37

[mention=114496]UKFujoshi[/mention]

Thank you for doing the research on manga. I wonder if it might influence the law in any way (e.g. by providing a well-researched source of information), but it would be great if it did.

Endynyp
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Endynyp » 11 Jun 2019, 07:24

I agree with Uno. This is a great area to be doing research in. Good on you.
“There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world. There is only the inevitable.” – Yuuko Ichihara, xxxHolic

Moulders
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Moulders » 11 Jun 2019, 08:35

Not so much use though when people like me complete multiple forms and lie to screw up the data.
"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight on to the end."

Earl Douglas Haig, Order to the British Army, 12 April 1918

So death, the most terrifying of ills, is nothing to us, since so long as we exist, death is not with us; but when death comes, then we do not exist. It does not then concern either the living or the dead, since the former it is not, and the latter are no more.

Epicurus Letter to Menoeceus